Saturday, April 11, 2009

If God was a Banker - ambition & ethics

Keeping aside the paranoia that has gripped my worklife off late; I picked up a book few days back which I had planned to read for a long time. After having finished reading, must say I am enthralled, for “If God was a Banker” is not only engrossing but keeps you hooked from the start. Though the author is an IIM grad (not again), but the flow & imagination bears the hallmark of a professional writer.

The storyline captures lives of two B School grads who join the same organization - New York International Bank-together, with both – Sundeep & Swami – being extreme contrasts of each other. One is flamboyant & go-getter with scant regard for ethics & morals, while the other equally good performer is highly scrupulous. The honest guy manages to snatch & marry the hottie who joined along with them, which offends the other guy so much that all time he is behind to kick dirt on his rival. What makes the read interesting & captivating is the behind-the-scenes corporate sleaze & the influence of wheeler dealers in many corporate decisions. The storyline traces loss of innocence when decision making powers come into play & when moral temptations become too hard to ignore.

The use of call girls in the storyline has been extensive & even managers are sleeping around to get better deals. I am aware of corporates supplying girls (whores, models, actresses – whosoever wants to make quick money) but sleeping as a necessary promotional qualification comes as a surprise. True many do sleep around in office, but its frequency is a real surprise for a novice like me.

The story ends with a corporate spy flying from US & discreetly meeting many females affected & hit by this predator friend, who is finally exposed when confronted by all the hard evidence of sleaze & corruption. The story spans across decades & different geographies & gives an insiders account of competitive international banking. What sets apart this one apart is the racy narrative coupled with the spicy behind-the-scenes deals & the cut throat competition that marks present day corporate struggle & stress.

A must read for anyone debating ambition & ethics

4 comments:

  1. More than anything - I liked your review! Very crisp & very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been sold. I'll read it. The 'sleeping around' interested me. Lol.

    As for the riddle in my blog..do u have an answer to save my(and your own)soul? It's an SOS frm me, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm lot many peopl have recooed this book, looks like it is time I pick this...

    Good review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am debating these two. A and E. But not in the sleeping around manner...still...I'm going to read this book...asap.

    ReplyDelete